June 18, 2010

Summer Door Decor

As June arrived, I realized that my Happy Spring front door decor wasn't all that appropriate anymore.  Let me show you what I came up with!

Supplies:
Watering Can
Red Spray Paint
Patriotic Window Cling
Flowers (Fake or Real)
Glossy Mod Podge
Paintbrush

This is how my watering can started out.  (I got it at JoAnn's for $5, in case you want one too!)
I began by spray painting the entire watering can red.  I used a fairly light coat, as the base was reddish to begin with.  I did spray the inside, but only the top section that's easily visible.
Go grab your window clings!
(I'm using the house.)

Hang the watering can on the door to determine the best location for the window cling.  Hold it in place after you remove the watering can from the door (so you know where to put the Mod Podge).
Paint a thin layer of Mod Podge directly onto the watering can, trying to match the shape of the cling as best you can.
Carefully lay the window cling over the Mod Podge.  Now the cling is going to be slippery!  To remove the air bubbles, hold the window cling in place with one hand, while you press out the bubbles with the other hand.  You really want to get rid of those bubbles, as they will be visible under the cling if you don't.  (You can see a lot of air bubbles in the photo below, but I promise I got them all out!)
LET THE MOD PODGE COMPLETELY DRY.  The cling will slide around if you move onto the next step before the Mod Podge is dry.  (Don't ask me how I know that...)

Once the Mod Podge is totally dry, paint another layer of Mod Podge over the top of the window cling.
Let that Mod Podge dry completely as well.

Fill the watering can with flowers and hang it on your door!  Now you've got a lovely summer door decoration--Easy as pie, right?


HAPPY SUMMER!

I'm linking up to:

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up  party!

6 comments:

  1. Another cute project! Happy summer to you too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a simple and adorable idea...I think I will be making a trip to Joann's looking for a tin...this would work really well on my front door. Thanks for sharing your creative idea. If you get a minutes stop by my blog and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, it is just perfect for summer...I'm picturing big sunflowers in one right now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. It's great! What a wonderful alternative to a wreath!

    Popped over from tatertots and jello!

    ~JILL @ envirocraftiness.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. coming at you from the link party...a little late! Love your blog, I am now following in my google reader! Thanks for all the great and DOable tutorials and ideas!

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails