March 22, 2010

Spring Wreath Tutorial

I searched high and low for a spring wreath to hang on my front door.  I searched craft blogs and stores, but found nothing that I loved.  (I really have to love it if it's going to be on my front door.)  After a very successful Goodwill trip on Saturday, though, I at least had something to work with. Here's what I did:

Materials:
Twig Wreath Form (Mine was in the shape of three hearts)
Silk Flowers (Number will depend on your base--I used about 30)
Miniature Rose Blooms--2 colors (Again the number will depend on the size of your wreath)
Small Half-Pearl Beads (One for each silk flower)
Ribbon (About as thick as the outside width of your wreath)
Twine
Glue Gun

Step 1: Keep kids busy

Wreath Base (69 cents at Goodwill)

Step 2: Using your glue gun, cover the outside of the wreath with ribbon.



Step 3: Hot glue the silk blossoms to the front of the wreath.  My wreath base had small sticks, equally spaced, around the wreath.  I glued one blossom to the top of each of those sticks.  At the center of each heart, I used a large bright pink blossom, instead of the small yellow ones that I used around the rest of the heart.


Step 4: Ask your kids what you should do next.
Step 5: Follow their advice.  Glue a half-pearl to the center of each blossom.  ("What about jewels?")  I used a larger pearl for each of the large pink flowers.

Step 6: Cut miniature roses from their stems.  I cut them right at the base of the bloom.

Step 7: Cover the bottom of each rose with hot glue.  Then place it into your wreath, holding it in place for about 10 seconds to be sure the glue will hold.  Please just trust me on this.  I tried a gazillion ways of getting the roses to stay in place in the wreath.  Don't put the glue on the wreath and then the flower on the glue.  It won't work.  I promise.  Just use a lot of glue on the bottom of your flower and you'll be fine.



Step 8: Completely stuff the wreath with roses.  Seriously pack them in.  When they dry, they'll shrink.  I know you don't want holes in your wreath!



Step 9: Tie two twine handles, one along the front of the top of the wreath, and one towards the back of the top of the wreath.  If you only use one piece of twine to hang the wreath, it will tip forward or backward.  Again, just trust me.

Step 10: Twist the front twine handle with the back twine handle.

Now hang your wreath!  You did it!



I'm linking up to:

4 comments:

  1. That's absolutely lovely, and it's a great way to use that old grapevine heart form. Looks SUPER on your door!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I love the colors of everything. You make me want to do more crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun project! It is so bright and happy looking. Great tutorial!

    Thanks so much for linking it up to my party!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails