March 7, 2010

Happy Spring Board


My house needs some bright Spring cheer, now that Spring is on its way.  At least, if I decorate for Spring, I can pretend that it's here...  With our budget always in mind, I decided to craft something cute to spruce up my living room.  I came up with a Happy Spring board!  I had all of the supplies in my arts and crafts room!  It was so simple and extremely fast.  The only piece that took any time at all was the hurry up and waiting for the Modge Podge to dry.
Here's the how-to:

Supplies:
7x7 piece of wood
6x6 piece of decorative card stock
2nd sheet of card stock in complimentary color/pattern for letters
Fabric Petals (Can be bought in the wedding section of most craft stores)
1 Jewel
Glue Gun
Modge Podge


1.) Cover your wood in Modge Podge.  Then lay your background card stock on top.  Cover that with Modge Podge.  It's going to hang over the edges just a little.  I thought about trimming it down, but actually liked the way it looked.  I painted all of my bare wood with Modge Podge too, as I wanted it to be the frame.

2.) Using your craft cutter, cut the letters HAPPY SPRING.  Super hard to figure out, right?


3.) Place your letters on the recently Modge Podged board.  Arrange them sort of haphazardly.  You'll want to angle "SPRING" at a diagonal up the board.  You'll need that bottom corner for your flower in a second.  Very carefully, lift one letter at a time to paint some Modge Podge on the board.  Replace that letter and continue with the next.  After all of the letters are well-secured, add another coat to the top.


4.) Arrange your flower petals in a solid, sheer, solid, sheer pattern.  When you glue the petals together, it will be easier if they're already laid out and ready.  Now place a small circle of hot glue on the top of your first petal, then place the next petal about one-third of the way across that first petal.  Make sure that the bottoms of the petals are lined up.  Continue glueing your petals together until you have a nice circle. Using your glue gun, fasten the jewel to the center of your flower.




5.) Hot glue your newly made flower to the bottom corner of your Happy Spring board.  Voila, you're done!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! How cute, thanks for the flower directions. You are so right that decorating for spring makes you feel like it is! Thanks for the idea. Great job, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love how it turned out. Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails