March 21, 2010

Flower Sand Box




On our last Ikea trip (dangerous!), I scored some red and beige sand bags, and some beautiful red flowers.  Unfortunately, I forgot to get the giant vase to go with them.  Crud.  Yesterday, though, I decided the time had come to do just do something with them.  It's been long enough.  I'm talking years here.  Seriously.  

Luckily, I had this gorgeous glass "thing," that was my grandma's, sitting in our basement.  My grandma had some amazing stuff that we were blessed enough to receive after she died.  How wonderful to be able to fill our home with things that remind me of her.  Anyways, the flowers I had were going to be way too tall for this glass container.  So I cut off the plastic stems, then hired my hubby to take care of the wire cutting that was inside the stems.  I poured the sand in colored layers into my container, then decided the zebra look wasn't as cool as I thought it might be, so I blended the sand with a giant spoon.

I have a current obsession with buttons, and thus had to find a way to include them!  I wrapped thick white satin ribbon around the top of the glass.  The angle of the glass, though, prevented the ribbon from laying flat.  I twisted the ribbon in two places, then hot glued it to the glass.  Voila!  I placed red buttons on each of the twists, and white buttons on the seam where the ribbon ended.




I wanted the top and bottom to match, so I wrapped the same white ribbon, folded in half to fit the right width, around the stem of the glass.  Then I put another red button on that seem, because you can never 
have enough buttons!


And here it is!  I'm so pleased with the final product.  I placed it in our dining room, on top of a piece of furniture that was my grandma's.  Our dining room is tan and red, so it fits in perfectly.  I love it when things work out!


And don't you love the name of my post?  I asked my 4 year old what I should call this post--She said, "Flower Sand Box."

2 comments:

  1. I love this! And, yes, the post title immediately made me want to read & see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute. I love how it turned out. Thanks for sharing at 'Look at me, I'm SO Crafty!' at Fun to Craft.

    ReplyDelete

I can't wait to hear what you think!

Related Posts with Thumbnails